By admin.dsm | Oct 2, 2018
A free and open source content management system built on PHP (Server-Side Scripting) and MySQL (Database). WordPress is similar to Microsoft Word but for websites. What I mean is that once the website is built, content can easily be modified and it is as easy as editing content in Word.
WordPress has different components; framework, theme, plug-ins, and content management. Think of it this way… the framework is the structure of the house, the theme is the colors and layout, plug-ins are the features, and content management is how the furniture is laid out.
WordPress was founded by Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little and released on May 27, 2003. It started as a blogging platform and now today WordPress sites can handle e-commerce to sophisticated membership sites.
The release schedule can be found here: https://wordpress.org/news/category/releases/
As of March 2017, WordPress is used by 58.8% of all content management systems and 27.7% of all websites. It is estimated that there are over 60 million websites running WordPress. The reasons it’s become so popular is because of the amazing development community
Popular WordPress Sites
- Tech Crunch – https://techcrunch.com/
- Walt Disney – https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/
- New Yorker – http://www.newyorker.com/
- BBC America – http://www.bbcamerica.com/
- Variety – http://variety.com/
- Sony Music – https://www.sonymusic.com/
- TED – http://blog.ted.com/
- Time Inc. – http://www.timeinc.com/
- New York Times – http://www.nytco.com/
- Mercedes-Benz – https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/